Winter is here! Poor posture while shoveling snow is not an uncommon cause of low back pain during wintertime. It is important to make sure you shovel properly to avoid injury! Let’s learn some shoveling tips here!
- Push, don’t lift – pushing the snow forward and avoid lifting and throwing
- Lever off the knees - If you have to lift, use your knee as a lever and make sure you don’t twist and turn
- Use a lightweight shovel so there is less strain on your body
- Take frequent breaks (every 10 mins)
- Ask for help if you have history of low back pain
- Using a snow blower would be the best
If you find you are experiencing some pain after shoveling, make sure you get checked out by a therapist.